Monday, July 25, 2016

Day 20 Rolla, MO to St Claire, MO

Day 20 Rolla, MO to St Claire, MO 61.2 miles 2360ft climbing #NM2NY4LFSA

The day started pleasantly. Hotel breakfasts typically include either make your own waffles or make your own pancakes. Today was pancakes. I like the make your own. You just push a button on a countertop machine and about three minutes later you've got two pancakes. It was in the mid seventies at 6:30 and really nice. But he time we left at 8 it was already in the mid eighties. It was another day of endless rollers. Both Chandler and I had legs of cement from the get go. Our less than stellar dinner was at least partially responsible for a marginal overnight recovery. The brutal afternoon heat yesterday was another. Today was forecast a little warmer still. The forecast did not disappoint. We took in a couple of sights including the worlds largest rocking chair. We did not take the opportunity to stop at the vacuum museum. I know, it sucks. Apparantly there are some vineyards in this part of the state. We saw signs for wine tasting and the for Concord grapes. I don't know if they're all concord boy the vineyards were lush and green. This is heavy duty God fearing territory so most things are closed on Sunday. We rode past a bakery and coffee shop at 10:30 and it was closed. That was disappointing. We pulled into a market for cold drinks and an older woman was getting laboring to get out of her car. She told me her legs hurt but she didn't listen to them. I told her I tell mine to be quiet. I thought it would be impolite to say I tell mine, "shut up legs". We rode on into the day. It got very hot again. As that happens we need to stop more frequently to drink. We also have to eat, but have determined it is not really possible to ride after 3:30 or so because of peak heat. The cloudless days make it even hotter in the saddle. I use primarily paper maps but when we start getting close to our daily destination I use google maps on my phone to guide us directly to our motel. The past two days my phone displayed a thermometer and said it was too hot to function. It's hot. The forecast this morning warns of a higher chand of precipitation tomorrow but the high is supposed to be nine degrees lower. That would be joy. One more day to St. Louis and s day off. Then we're in Illinois. We're getting there slowly but surely.

 

 

  

 

1 comment:

  1. Too hot to function. Book title. You ARE getting there, you hotties.

    ReplyDelete